Thursday 25 July 2013

'Legend' Author Marie Lu On Film Adaptation, New Book Series




Hollywood Crush





'Legend' Author Marie Lu On Film Adaptation, New Book Series



LegendThe bad news first, "Legend" fans: There's no updates to be had on the movie adaptation of Marie Lu's YA trilogy. The good news: You know that saying "no news is good news," right? Well, in this case, that's probably true.


When Hollywood Crush caught up with Marie at San Diego Comic-Con this weekend, she told us that the film's status is the same as it was last time we updated you: Producers are hunting for a director. "I'm excited by the people they're thinking of, and hopefully it'll pan out," she said cheerfully. "I'm excited to see who they pick and excited to see where it goes from there."


As plenty of authors know, just because a production company buys the film rights to a book doesn't mean it'll get past the development process. But Marie is just happy there's the potential of a "Legend" movie. "When I first wrote the book I didn’t even know that we could sell movie rights. I didn’t know that was, like, a thing you could do, so when it happened I was so excited and I still can’t quite believe it," she said. "I definitely fantasize the possibility of going on set. I’d imagine it would be very surreal to see things that are in your brain laid out in the real world."



Giving up control of something you've spent so much time on is nerve-wracking, but Marie said she's comfortable with any changes producers might want to make. "I know there’s a lot of things that won’t translate well to the screen. They’re just two very different mediums," she said. "Especially with 'Legend'—June as a character, a lot of stuff happens in her head, where she’s constantly thinking about numbers and puzzles. I’m sure that would have to be translated differently. I’ve seen the screenplay, and I really love what they’ve done with it."


Whether we'll see a Marie Lu movie or a new Marie Lu book first depends entirely on how fast the often slow film-making process moves. A new book, on the other hand, is definitely coming. Marie said a first draft of the first book in her new series is two thirds of the way done, and should be released by next fall. "It’ll be a YA fantasy series, and it’s called the 'Young Elites' for now," she said. "I’m sort of pitching it as 'X Men' meets 'Assassin’s Creed.' It’s superheroes but in this fantasy, renaissance-y society. I’ve always wanted to write a fantasy."


And we might not have seen the last of the "Legend" world—Marie said she would be open to revisiting the story in the (far) future. "I never rule anything out. I could see myself potentially revisiting the world in the future, but if it happens, I don’t think it’ll be any time soon," she said. "I think it might be a little while so I can sort of cleanse my palate so I can feel refreshed and ready to go back into the world."


Related:

+ Author Marie Lu: 'Champion' Is 'Most Romantic, Most Dramatic' Of Series


Are you itching for a "Legend" movie? Does Marie's new series sound intriguing? Tell us in the comments and on Twitter!








No comments:

Post a Comment